Optimize the current Search experience to improve discoverability and intuitiveness while migrating to a new responsive web platform (Adobe Experience Manager - AEM).
We’re also transitioning the site to a new look & feel, and still establishing UI patterns like filters for responsive web design.
Third times a charm :)
This would be the third time since joining KP that the team would explore what a revised Search experience could look like ...
After much exploration by one of our designers, the project was de-prioritized due to conflicting initiatives.
On our second attempt, I worked with one of our design partners DesignMap to do the preliminary explorations including one round of usability testing. We partnered with DesignMap for a limited engagement on this project, so after they wrapped up their contribution, I began to further dissect the work we had done together ... and again, the project got de-prioritized.
Coming back at it with fresh eyes and more visibility into the current capabilities and challenges I decided to go back to the basics, do additional research and attempt to rethink the experience from an another perspective.
During our earlier work, we had been very confined by the technical limitations of our current search engine and taxonomy. Our solution was driven by legacy expectations and opinions, and I had felt we compromised too much in our approach.
I continued to do additional research on filtering, hand-held device interaction and search in general. I looked at what others were doing, best practices … the usual.
Then, we explored several rounds of filtering approaches, results snippet layouts, etc. and continued to refine the approach.
We've undergone two rounds of usability testing with incremental tweaks during that process based on feedback and the plan is to initiate live A/B testing on some interface elements once we release.
Create a co-branded experience bridging the gap between digital and retail.
The user would begin the flow from a logged in state within PayPal's interface. They would then get passed to Green Dot's parallel site and finish the process, in-person, at a retailer.
The interface had to be intuitive, and simple, while solving for a fairly complex flow.
Making sure there were no dead ends was essential. To achieve this, we utilized triggered email confirmations and reminders, as well as, a concise interface.
I worked with the VP of product for the network team, as well as, marketing stakeholders to understand the network limitations and co-branding expectations.
We worked out the details of the requirements during the wireframing phase. There were several risk and security factors to consider, and seeing it on paper helped the risk team get a better understanding of the options. As a result, the wireframing phase was the largest chunk of the project.
Once the requirements were locked, wireframes were reviewed with engineering to scope the project and routed to internal compliance and legal for approvals.
A couple of quick visual directions were explored, but ultimately, the design phase was a simple one, as PayPal’s brand guides were to be followed, not leaving for much interpretation.
Visual designs then route internally with key stakeholders, compliance, etc. and eventually to PayPal for final approvals.
Green Dot has a massive reload network, and had recently added new features/functionality, so we created an informative video to help communicate the concept to Green Dot's partners.
Role: Director, User Experience & Design
Responsibilities: Interaction Design, Visual Design, Content Strategy, Animation Direction
While at Green Dot, I did a lot of work with Walmart MoneyCard®. During the site refresh phase, we dove deep into every flow within the site and prepared optimized flow recommendations. Because of the confines of the engineering schedule, we often needed to prepare ALT versions of the flows, which weren’t the optimal UX recommendation, but a more doable compromise.
The team then put together some prototype concepts to pitch… some, pretty out of the box for the Walmart folks, so we eventually settled on a refresh that is more inline with the current .com site.
GoBank is an award-winning bank account, made to be used on a mobile phone. Designed with mobile usage in mind, evolving into a desktop site as well. We launched in 2013 with an awesome app experience, which continues to evolve, as well as, the desktop and mobile view.
I was lucky enough to be involved early in the development stage and was a large contributor to the product's beta and public launch.
Always a blast dreaming up scenarios for GoBank's mascot Professor Dog (PD).
Green Dot @ the Register was a pretty simple assignment due to the site not supporting any functionality. The challenge was coming up with UI and visual design that was scalable (due to new services being added throughout 2015), easily responsive and living in a sweet spot between digital and retail.